The San Diego Backcountry Visitors Bureau (SDBVB) is your official guide to the high mountains of San Diego's backcountry. Our organization was founded as a community initiative & as a direct result of serious challenges with tourism development in the backcountry.
Over the last few decades, San Diego county has undergone major development to become the 5th most populous county in the United States. Over 30 million tourists visit San Diego annually. Amidst decades of mass development across the county; the backcountry remains intact in all its natural beauty & pristine heritage.
As the highest generator of income into the region; the tourism industry is one of our communities most important economic pillars. One of our biggest concerns has been finding the proper balance between tourism growth & the preservation of the region. As the tourism industry continues to play a major role in economic development, sustainable tourism & sustainable business models represent our most forward thinking growth strategy for the backcountry.
As a result of these findings & many others issues affecting our community; it was apparent that we were lacking an organization to raise awareness & advocate for this sort of business model. Things reached a turning point during the heavy snowfalls of 2017 when we witnessed multiple instances of reckless & dangerous behavior by visiting tourists. Our community seemed unprepared for the influx of visitors & we witnessed several other cases of major challenges with tourism throughout 2017.
We were finally formed by a group of Julianites in 2016 as the San Diego Backcountry Visitors Bureau. We were established as a nonprofit 501c6 in 2017. We work with various other institutions & non-profit organizations towards the preservation & sustainable development of our beloved backcountry.
"Our mission is to ensure sustainable development, preserve our backcountry heritage & promote the growth of responsible tourism"
As the stewards of these pristine regions, our community is very passionate about ensuring its preservation for generations to come. We're involved in a wide range of initiatives & efforts that include:
- Advocacy of responsible tourism & sustainable development
- Raising awareness towards the importance of the region's bio-diversity & heritage & how it directly correlates with our tourism economy.
- Fostering a culture of sustainability, environmental stewardship & conservation among both locals & tourists.
- Improving tourism standards & encouraging tourism models which conform to our community character.
- Advocating for the best interests of the Julian community - residents, businesses & visitors alike.
- Conservation of natural resources and wildlife
- Economic development projects & community outreach